• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How do i get dry, ripped, with low body fat?

Portillo

Bluelighter
Im getting too much body fat around my abs, plus i look too wet and soft. How do i go about getting the dry/ripped look?

Thanks for any help.

Cardio at least 5 times a week, 30-60 mins/day. Try to get your heart rate to at least 140.

Cut out any sugar that's not naturally in veggies or fruit. Forget what a coke or dr. pepper is.(milk is an exception, but I'd still refrain if possible)

Carb cycling isn't exactly 'healthy living' as I've argued with your old chap Gainin Planes over. But if you're looking to get shredded, it works like crazy. If you're interested I'll post more.

Oh and you should know, ZERO alcohol. Do you want to keep your booze and wet(lol) abbs, or you wanna give it up and lose the soft appearance? Not everyone's a freak like PI who can have her lager and her ripped abbs. ;)

cardio 5 times a week at 60 minutes a go is going to result in shin splints, pulled muscles, or general burn-out.

I don't really have an answer for you though. I run like 3 times a week totaling maybe 15 miles. Do pull-ups throughout the day, and a couple hundred sit-ups every other day. Eat maybe 1200 calories a day. My peak weight is about 160, 5'11'', but I've never been able to attain that "cut" look. Maybe its because I drink a lot of dark beer and wine.

Cardio at least 5 times a week, 30-60 mins/day. Try to get your heart rate to at least 140.

Cut out any sugar that's not naturally in veggies or fruit. Forget what a coke or dr. pepper is.(milk is an exception, but I'd still refrain if possible)

Carb cycling isn't exactly 'healthy living' as I've argued with your old chap Gainin Planes over. But if you're looking to get shredded, it works like crazy. If you're interested I'll post more.

Oh and you should know, ZERO alcohol. Do you want to keep your booze and wet(lol) abbs, or you wanna give it up and lose the soft appearance? Not everyone's a freak like PI who can have her lager and her ripped abbs. ;)

Cool. So i can still do my bodybuilding routines while on the cardio right? What kind of cardio can i do; bike riding, running?

yeah, cardio and lifting go fine together.

when I lifted I usually did light cardio before my workout to warmup. Maybe a slow mile or two on the treadmill before I started my routine.

You could also dedicate days off from lifting for cardio.

cardio 5 times a week at 60 minutes a go is going to result in shin splints, pulled muscles, or general burn-out.

I never said to run for all the cardio. I'd mix it up between running, EFX machine, and stationary bike(and swimming if you like doing that) Notice I also said 30-60 mins. At least 30 and up to 60 depending on how much you want to push it. I never pulled any muscles, or burnt out.

Stretch and listen to your body.

I did fracture my ankle because I stepped on a stick while runing on an unlit path in the early morning darkness, but we won't go there. :X

but I've never been able to attain that "cut" look. Maybe its because I drink a lot of dark beer and wine.

Well I have. ;) and yes that has a lot to do with it.

I usually do a 10 min cardio warmup, then do my lifting, and finish with the around 45 mins of cardio afterwards. I don't notice any drops in strength with this type of cardio.

Just the thread I was looking for!
I'm sorta skinny, with a little bit of a belly :\

Basically I wanna have something that resembles abs present, and maybe bulk up a little bit, nothing too drastic.

Atm I was starting a fitness routine which would be:
At least 30mins run and jog a day
100 situps in groups of like 20 or so
50 pushups in groups of 10-15 (whenever my arms fail me)

And then every other day do some arm weights with the bench we have at home.

Is there any changes you'd reccomend to that, or maybe something I should add?
I was also gonna be drinking the Creatine/Protein shake stuff you buy in health food stores too.

Cheers

Well I have. ;) and yes that has a lot to do with it.

I usually do a 10 min cardio warmup, then do my lifting, and finish with the around 45 mins of cardio afterwards. I don't notice any drops in strength with this type of cardio.

Do you think it is possible for somebody to "get cut" doing cardio and bodyweight exercises (pull/push/sit-ups, etc...) combined with proper diet and no alcohol intake?

I can't see myself getting definition without lifting, but I have an aversion to lifting. :|

Do you think it is possible for somebody to "get cut" doing cardio and bodyweight exercises (pull/push/sit-ups, etc...) combined with proper diet and no alcohol intake?

I can't see myself getting definition without lifting, but I have an aversion to lifting. :|

I'm a huge fan of body resistance exercises. Pushups, pullups, crunches, and dips and a big part of my routine. You get to where you can do 300 or 400 pushups throughout the day, and see if you're not ripped up(with the cardio and a nice diet minus booze)

Just curious, what's up with this 'aversion' to lifting??

I'm a huge fan of body resistance exercises. Pushups, pullups, crunches, and dips and a big part of my routine. You get to where you can do 300 or 400 pushups throughout the day, and see if you're not ripped up(with the cardio and a nice diet minus booze)

Just curious, what's up with this 'aversion' to lifting??

I don't like being around the "bros" that are often inclined to inhabit weight rooms across the world. I'm not one for showing off, so I steer clear of the weights.

That is good news about the body weight training and getting cut... Might be a harder time convincing my friends to stop drinking around me than it will be to actually workout that much... :eek:

cardio needs to be done everyday for maximum fat loss plain and simple...preferably in the AM on an empty stomach...moderate intensity and longer duration...

I don't like being around the "bros" that are often inclined to inhabit weight rooms across the world. I'm not one for showing off, so I steer clear of the weights.

That is good news about the body weight training and getting cut... Might be a harder time convincing my friends to stop drinking around me than it will be to actually workout that much... :eek:

That is a pretty poor excuse/big generalization. Sure it can be true in some cases, but I find the people in the weight room are usually just nice,normal people.

Have you actually been to the gym and met these bro's? And what has weight lifting got to do with showing off?

Anyway, abs are all about low bodyfat level. They are basically made in the kitchen. With the proper diet and lots of cardio you can get your bodyfat level down to give you more of a hard appearance.

But you can't 'bulk' up and do this at the same time. (although some cases bulking will lower your bodyfat levels), so its one way or the other. Bulking=Caloric increase, cutting=caloric deficit.

Personally I'm trying to bulk up a fair bit before I even bother about going for that ripped look, because if I tried to now (5'8 155pounds) I would just look like a skinny skeleton with abs.

^who cares?? :\ Don't talk to them? I don't know what to tell you. lol. Blaming the "bros" and then your friends? Self evaluation time my BRO!! Take a little look in the mirror(not to show off) :D

^who cares?? :\ Don't talk to them? I don't know what to tell you. lol. Blaming the "bros" and then your friends? Self evaluation time my BRO!! Take a little look in the mirror(not to show off) :D

Fine, what I see in the mirror: somebody that is in better shape than probably 90% of people in the US. Somebody that eats healthy and can run farther than 90% of the people in the US. But, somebody that doesn't like the douche-ridden recesses of your neighborhood weight room.

Boy, that was enlightening

Fine, what I see in the mirror: somebody that is in better shape than probably 90% of people in the US. Somebody that eats healthy and can run farther than 90% of the people in the US. But, somebody that doesn't like the douche-ridden recesses of your neighborhood weight room.

Boy, that was enlightening

I didn't mean phsyically.

"Take a look in the mirror" EVer heard that before? Was referring to your attitude not appearance cheech.

That's why I wear headphones and don't go to the gym to walk around and talk 65% of the time I'm there. I'll even agree in part, I like working out in my garage when I can, but it's been too damn cold lately. Oh, and there are a few cool machines at my gym.

There are two types of people that inhabit weight rooms. First are those egging one another on, talking about the chick they banged last night (or how shitfaced they got) and chatting on their mobiles. Those guys you want to avoid like the fucking plauge.

The second are dedicated individuals trying to better themselves. In the gym the look focused and rarely get distracted by whats going on around them.